Captain Brian Trilogy

Books in the Trilogy are sequential, spanning nearly a decade. The award-winning Greater Trouble in the Lesser Antilles is a good place to start, but each book stands on its own.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

The Monopoly Strikes Back


 
Something like 1.2 million books were published last year. Finding a way to make your book stand out is difficult, unless you assassinate a public figure or have sex with one on television. The task is made even more difficult if your publisher is so indifferent it does not bother to acknowledge your book exists.

Top Reasons Republishing on Amazon is Problematic

1.     Your new edition or its image may not show up on your Books Page.
2.     Your new edition or its image may not show up on your Author Central Page.
3.     Not only are #1 and #2 likely, there is a chance that a reseller of your older edition will take your place on your own Books Page, and your new addition may not be there at all.
4.     You may lose most of or many of your Book Reviews.
5.     Createspace, Author Central, and Kindle are separate entities and mesh as well FBI, CIA, and NSA, and each passes the buck to its less than collegial neighbor.
6.     Amazon Links your old and new editions.
7.     Amazon employs an Algorithm.

The major reason numbers six and seven are important to you is because one or the other is most often cited as not only the source of your problem, but also the reason the problem can’t be fixed. I have republished two titles through Createspace:

Greater Trouble in the Lesser Antilles
Low Jinks on the High Seas

In addition I have published one new title:

Epic Trials in the Leeward Isles

It has taken three months of e-mails and phone calls to have the three books and their new images appear on my Books Page. In that time, there have been various combinations of old and new additions. The most recent combination I found the most interesting. A reseller of my out-of-print edition of Greater Trouble in the Lesser Antilles took the place of my Createspace edition. This was doubling troubling. My edition of a book I was trying to sell was totally absolutely absent. My competitor’s book was present. Best of all, Amazon still made a profit, while I made nothing.

I, of course, e-mailed Author Central. A few days later, while in the midst of something important, I received a phone call in reply. The man had apparently drunk too much of the Kool-aid. He told me not to worry about it, as it would eventually straighten itself out. When I asked how that would happen, he replied that eventually all the books in the hands of resellers would be sold, so it would no longer be a problem. He mentioned Linking and the Algorithm, but by then I was too dazed to pay attention. I have had the Books Page for ten years, and there was never NOT a time resellers were hawking their books on it.

I’m now down to one problem (though I’ve been down to one problem in the past and fixing the final problem always created another problem). The image of Low Jinks on the High Seas on my Author Central Page is of the out-of-print edition and not the current Createspace edition. I inquired how I was to track sales (one of the advertised features of the page). I got a half page of directions on how to accomplish it.

As for Book Reviews: Only five reviews for each of my republished books carried over to the new editions. I am led to believe Linking is responsible. So I’m sure the reviews are in a storage facility on Alpha Centauri and will some day sift back through the ether. I’m not even going to mention all the reviews Amazon axed in one or another of its purges.

So I now have three books for sale on my Books Page. Most of the reviews are gone, which to a buyer suggests my five friends each wrote a review. (Greater Trouble in the Lesser Antilles won first place for fiction from the Midwest Independent Publishers Association, so it’s a step up from a potboiler.) My marketing plans sort of disintegrated along the way, as all my spare time was spent dealing with Amazon, which sucked the joy from the experience of publishing a book.

I’ve operated businesses in my life. Some were located in areas where things like the availability water and electricity were problematic, not to mention supplies. That’s where employees take over to make customers’ experiences as pleasant as possible under trying conditions. Now if I employed 341,400 employees, I’d tap one on the shoulder and tell him or her to take care of the Linking problem and another to fix the fucking algorithm.

I may live long enough to have a worse business experience. It’s hard to say, as the present one is far from over.

I didn’t cover number five. I let Amazon do it for me:

Hello Charles,

Thanks for reaching out Author Central!

We've added the title on your Author Page according to the ISBN provided on the previous correspondence, if you click on "View on Amazon.com" from the "Books" section of your Author profile, you will see the Cover Image provided by Create Space:


If, for some reason the Detail Page is showing up an incorrect cover image, please contact the CreateSpace team in order to correct the information at:


While CreateSpace is a part of the Amazon.com group of companies, it operates as an independent site and handles all inquiries directly.

Remember that you are more than welcome to contact us with any other issues you may need assistance with.

I hope this information helps and that you have a lovely day!






We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the buttons below to vote about your experience today.






Best regards,
Bianca S.








I contacted Createspace.


Hello Charles,

Thank you for contacting CreateSpace.

I understand you have questions about your title "Low Jinks on the High Seas" showing worng cover on Author Central page .

Im currently unable to transfer you to the Author Central Phone support team because they work Monday-Friday 5:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Time. However, I've forwarded your information to the Author Central team for follow-up. You should hear back from them in the next 1-2 business days.

You may also reach them directly at https://authorcentral.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us

We appreciate your understanding in this matter.


Best regards,

Vemana
CreateSpace Member Services


Need more information? Try our site search, located at the top of each CreateSpace webpage.

Find help on Community and Resources.

Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook.

Your original message:

Charles Locks, Member ID 503901
The detail page on my author central page is correct except that it shows the wrong image for Low Jinks on the High Seas. The image I want is the Createspace image: Low Jinks on the High Seas, ISBN-13: 978-1545525197. Author central told me I should contact you. Thank you for taking care of it.

So I contacted Author Central.










Message From Customer Service





Hello Charles,

I'm following up on your recent contact and I understand that you are concerned about the cover image of the older edition of your book "Low Jinks on the High Seas" being displayed in your Author Central account.

To help you with this issue, I checked the details of the book and I found that, the older edition and the latest edition of the book are linked together.

Please understand that, when multiple editions of the book are linked together, the cover image of the edition which shows up in your Author Central account will be the default edition and this default editions are sorted automatically based on actual customer shopping behaviors and the order is not manually adjusted for the titles shown in this feature.

Newer editions are generally preferred over older editions. Occasionally, there are delays obtaining the latest data about certain editions, which may result in another edition being displayed temporarily.

Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to seeing you soon again.






Best regards,
Beaulin






As soon as I figure out what “Customer Shopping Behaviors has to do with listing the current editions of my book on my Author Central Page, which as far as I know is accessible only to me, I’ll let you know. The ride is not over.

No comments:

Post a Comment