Captain Brian Trilogy

Books in the Trilogy are sequential, spanning nearly a decade. The award-winning Greater Trouble in the Lesser Antilles is a good place to start, but each book stands on its own.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Neighbor Strikes It Rich


When I was growing up on Goodrich Avenue in St. Paul, my mother befriended a woman a block north on Lincoln Avenue. Unlike my mother who had five kids, her friend had only one son and an older reclusive husband. The supermarket was close by, but without a car, the woman could buy only what she could carry home. She and my mother managed to coordinate grocery shopping for big trips, so they could use our car. Soon they were playing bridge with other neighbor ladies. Bridge may have been what brought them together initially. It was a long time ago and unimportant

Also unimportant, but maybe not—how does one really know—my mother was attractive and educated. She joined the Navy in 1942, interrupting her University of Minnesota education when my grandfather joined the FBI and was sent to Miami. She served at Balboa Hospital and at Pearl Harbor. She finished up college after the war. As to her attractiveness, a girlfriend from school got jealous when she saw my mother and me together on the street, not knowing it was my mother instead of a love interest.

My mother’s friend was not attractive or educated, but she was a nice person and had difficulty with her curmudgeonly and miserly husband who spent a great deal of time alone in an attic he kept locked. Her son, a few years younger than I, got a lot of my hand-me-down clothes. Their household was unhappy.

A few years went by, and not much changed until the woman’s husband died. The story came out that during the Depression the man had run a bar on the East Side near The Mining, as we called 3M those days. When McKnight ran out of money, he paid his workers in stock certificates. The opportunistic husband accepted the stock certificates as legal tender. He had squirreled away a whole trunk of the certificates in his attic, more than a million dollars’ worth.

The woman sold their rundown house and moved to 740 Mississippi River Boulevard, a newly constructed, spiffy high-rise in Highland Park. The rich tend not to hang around with the middle class, not that “class” has anything to do with it. Contact was lost for many years. Then one day, my mother informed that she had run into the woman. Shortly after, they were playing bridge again. It was one of those groups hosted by a different participant each week. When it was the woman’s turn, she held it at Lost Spur, a country club across the river in Mendota, just south of the city. The woman treated her guests to lunch, but not booze—perhaps something to do with her late husband. Each player got a party favor in the form of a tightly wrapped hundred-dollar bill next to her plate. My mother never missed a bridge game.

The son went off to school at Colorado College, I was probably in Vietnam by then. He and I had never been friends. Too many years separated us. In elementary school, three years may as well have been a decade. Also, we attended different high schools. Then there was the money. His mother did complain to my mother that her son seemed to major in skiing.

While the woman certainly acquired a better life after the death of her husband, she wasn’t a particularly happy person. She buried her next two husbands. I expect she was lonely most of her life, and the men she attracted were perhaps attracted more by her money—something I have no knowledge of. Her son remained a problem, appearing to have found a new degree program that required seven years of study to graduate. His mother was able to get his attention when she informed him he was disinherited until he graduated.

He did graduate, but he was too busy skiing to attend his mother’s funeral. My mother was livid. That was the end of the story until recently. I was telling a few people the tale, when one of the women present spoke up, shocked that I knew the man who had been involved with one of her friends in what I gathered was not a happy union. The woman informed me the boy-man had died. I guess the story reached its conclusion, unless I run into offspring or the lawyer who handled the wayward son’s estate.